Monday, June 27, 2011

Negatives & Positives

As children, we have received messages that have had an impact on our emotional well-being. Any of these sound familiar?

Negatives

You are so lazy
You are such a loser
You never get things right
Can't you do anything right
Reading/math has always been your worst subject
Be careful, that's dangerous
Don't do that, you will hurt yourself
Life is hard
You can't be trusted

Positives

You are a winner
You can do anything your heart desires
There is nothing that can get in your way
Your are so great
You have a good heart
Everyone is a child of God
I am proud of you
I wish I could be more like you
You are an amazing person
You have a beautiful smile

Which list makes you feel better about yourself? The positives, of course. However, most of us use negatives more than positives. To change our negativity, we must focus on the positives. Try to give out at least two positives for every negative. Better yet, give 10 positives for every negative and see who notices. Think of the positive qualities you have, write them down individually on pieces of paper. When you are feeling down, pull one out and read it, you will be amazed at how it lifts your spirit.

I have to admit that one of the best gifts I received was from my closest girlfriends. She gave me a pretty gold box filled with papers, some she had written what she loved about me as a person and some were for my husband and myself to write positive qualities about me. I've had that box for 13 years now and it still perks me up when I've had a tough day.

Trisha Turner, BSN, RN, NCSN, ALNC, DIS

Remember, no one can make you feel inferior without your consent......Eleanor Roosevelt